Today, we're sliding headfirst into "slugging" – a skincare trend that's taken TikTok by storm with 1.4 billion views
If you've ever dreamt of waking up to skin that feels as soft as silk and radiates a natural, dewy glow, you're in for a treat.
Table of Contents
What is Slugging?
Slugging involves the application of a thick occlusive layer, typically using petroleum jelly or a similar product, to your face.
Think of it as a sealant for your skin – creating a protective barrier that locks in moisture and shields your complexion from the harsh elements.
What is the Origin of Slugging?
While the term "slugging" may have recently entered the mainstream beauty vocabulary, its roots run deep in the world of Korean skincare. Korean beauty enthusiasts have been using this technique for years, attributing its efficacy to achieving and maintaining a coveted glass-skin look.
It's no secret that Korean beauty routines are revered for their emphasis on achieving flawless and radiant skin. Slugging became a beloved step in these routines, cherished for its ability to enhance the effectiveness of other skincare products and provide an extra layer of hydration. As beauty trends travel across borders, slugging has now become a global sensation, captivating skincare enthusiasts worldwide.
What are the Benefits of Slugging?
Intense Hydration: Picture this – a skincare technique that acts like a protective cocoon, ensuring your skin stays hydrated throughout the night. Slugging does just that. By forming a moisture barrier, it prevents water loss, leaving your skin feeling plump, nourished, and incredibly hydrated.
Locking in Goodness: You've invested in those top-tier serums and moisturizers, and slugging is your secret weapon to maximize their effectiveness. This technique acts as a seal, locking in all the goodness from your skincare products.
Radiant Morning Glow: Slugging works its magic overnight, allowing your skin to recover and rejuvenate. The result? A morning glow that speaks volumes about your skin's health and vitality.
Perfect for Dry Skin: If you've been battling dry patches or flaky skin, slugging is a game-changer. It provides that extra layer of protection, making it especially beneficial for those with dry and sensitive skin types.
How often should you be slugging?
The answer, as with many aspects of skincare, depends on your individual needs and preferences.
While slugging can be a game-changer for maintaining hydration and promoting a radiant complexion, it's essential to strike a balance.
Some skin types may benefit from nightly slugging, especially if battling persistent dryness, while others (oily/acne-prone) might find occasional use more suitable.
Pay attention to how your skin responds and adjust accordingly. It's all about finding that sweet spot that keeps your skin happy, healthy, and glowing.
Experiment, observe, and let your skin guide you on the frequency that works best for you.
How to Slug: A Step-by-Step Guide
Follow this simple step-by-step guide to incorporate this technique seamlessly into your nightly skincare routine:
- Prepare Your Face: Before slugging, ensure your face is clean and free from makeup and impurities. A gentle cleanser will do the trick, setting the canvas for the upcoming skincare ritual.
- Apply Regular Skincare: Don't forget your regular skincare routine! Apply your favorite serums, moisturizers, and any other products you swear by. This ensures your skin receives the essential nourishment before sealing the deal with slugging.
- Apply Occlusive (Petroleum Jelly or Alternatives): Now comes the star of the show – the occlusive. Whether it's the classic Vaseline or another non-comedogenic alternative, take a pea-sized amount and gently massage it over your face. Pay extra attention to areas prone to dryness.
- Focus on Dry Areas: If you have specific dry patches or areas that need extra care, make sure to focus on them during the application. Slugging is all about personalized care, so give those areas the attention they deserve.
- Leave It Overnight for Optimal Results: With your skin now cocooned in the occlusive layer, it's time to hit the hay. But before you sleep, allow the slugging product to sit for a few minutes to avoid staining or making a mess of your pillowcase (especially if it’s satin or silk). Leave the slugging magic to work overnight, allowing your skin to absorb the goodness and wake up refreshed, hydrated, and ready to face the day.
Best Products for Slugging
Here's a curated list of some standout products that are sure to elevate your slugging experience:
- Vaseline Original Petroleum Jelly: A classic in the world of occlusives, Vaseline Original Petroleum Jelly is a tried-and-true option. Known for its simplicity and effectiveness, it creates a formidable barrier, keeping your skin moisturized and protected throughout the night. If you have oily or acne-prone skin you might want to skip this one.
- Aquaphor Healing Ointment: For those seeking a bit more than basic hydration, Aquaphor Healing Ointment is a stellar choice. Packed with emollients and healing properties, it not only seals in moisture but also aids in the repair of dry or damaged skin.
- Cerave Healing Ointment: If you have sensitive skin, Cerave Healing Ointment is your go-to. Non-greasy and developed with dermatologists, it provides the benefits of an occlusive without irritating. Perfect for those with delicate skin in need of some extra TLC.
Choosing the right occlusive is like finding the perfect skincare ally – it complements your routine and enhances your skin's natural beauty. Explore these options and discover which one works best for your unique skin needs. With the right product in hand, your slugging experience is set to be nothing short of transformative.
Each layer of your skincare routine is a step towards self-care. Enjoy the process, relish in the ritual, and let your skin soak up the goodness.